Wallpaper Vs Paint: Reasons to use wallpaper for your house
You can either paint or put up wallpaper if you want to set up or fix up your own four walls.
We all ask ourselves at least once in our lives, “Should I wallpaper or paint?” It doesn’t matter if it’s a new or old building if we’re moving in or out if it’s a small apartment or a big house.
It’s hard to give a general answer to the question of what is better, more expensive, or easier because costs and effort are subjective and everyone has their own ideas.
In this article, we try to look at Wallpaper vs Pains: reasons to use wallpaper for your house in Sheffield.
We’ll look at them in a general way and compare the pros and cons of wallpaper and paint.
The wallpaper comes from the East and is a patterned wall covering made of woven fabric or leather. It was used to decorate interior walls back then, just as it is now.
What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages of Wallpaper And Paint?
Wallpaper vs Paint: Advantages Of Wallpaper:
- You can use it to decorate many different and complex designs.
- When you wallpaper, you save yourself a lot of work. Even if it takes a little practice, wallpapering is easier and usually faster than painting.
- If the walls have already been drilled, the hidden holes can often still be seen on a painted wall. This is what wallpaper is good for.
- Depending on the type, wallpaper can even help block out noise and keep heat in. If this is important to you, you might want to use wallpaper on your four walls in Sheffield.
Paint vs Wallpaper: Disadvantages Wallpapers:
- You can paint right on the walls if the plaster is smooth and there are no cracks. That’s not the case with wallpaper.
- Putting up wallpaper is a lot of work because it needs to be measured, cut exactly, and glued.
- When painting, you don’t have to use brushes to put on colour. You can also use effect sponges.
- Wallpaper can come off, especially in new buildings.
- Painting walls are cheap and, if you’re not sure, you only need one person. Overcoating can be done at a later time without any problems.
Types Of Wallpaper
Like paint, there are many different kinds of wallpaper to choose from.
- Woodchip wallpaper: It’s what most people use since it’s usually cheap and good for the environment. It’s strong and often has a rough surface because wood fibres are mixed in.
- Paper wallpaper: It’s another option. It is usually made of two layers of paper. Most of the time, the top layer is printed in colour.
- The paper-embossed wallpaper: This is great for people who are just starting out because it is easy to work with.
- Fibreglass wallpaper: It’s great for bathrooms, kids’ rooms, and the kitchen since it holds up so well, Because of how it is made, allergy sufferers can use it instead of other wallpapers.
- Non-woven wallpaper: This is very popular because it is easy to put up and just as easy to take down. Get the metal wallpaper if you want to make it look fancy. This makes your premises look sophisticated and unique.
Most of the time, emulsion paint, lime paint, silicate paint, or distemper are used to paint walls. Many paint companies now use low-emission ingredients to protect the environment and people’s health.
The range of colours leaves nothing to be desired, and if needed, you can mix and use a special colour. There are no limits to how creative you can be, and you can put up the most unique patterns or colour combinations.
Wallpaper vs Paint: Advantages Of Paint:
- It’s easy to apply on the wall.
- It’s a cheaper option.
- It is possible to repaint; there is no risk of mould with poor insulation. It can also be done by one person.
Wallpaper vs Paint: Disadvantages Of Paint:
When you paint, you have to use elaborate masking and it takes a long time and is hard to put patterns or writing on the wall
Which Is Easier To Use? Wallpaper Or Paint?
Putting up wallpaper has never been simpler than it is now. Over the past few decades, wallpaper, wallpapering tools and techniques, and wallpapering supplies like paste have changed.
Now, wallpapering is easy enough that even people who have never done it before don’t have to be afraid of it.
In the past, it was much harder to put up wallpaper and even harder to take it down, So, the older generations often hired skilled workers to do all the work.
However, many people still think that painting is easier than hanging wallpaper. That’s why they choose to paint instead, or, they hire a painter to put up the wallpaper because they haven’t had a good experience with it yet.
The good news is that times have changed, and it’s now easier than ever to put up wallpaper.
When non-woven wallpaper came out, it made work easier. That’s the reason woodchip wallpaper and paper wallpaper, which had been the most common types of wallpaper before became outdated.
Non-woven wallpapers are nice because you don’t have to put glue on them and soak them. Instead, the paste is spread on the wall, and each strip of wallpaper is pressed into the paste using the wall-pasting technique.
Besides, they can be completely taken off the wall when they are dry, even if they have been there for years.
Nonwoven wallpapers are also durable, don’t shrink or wrinkle, and are easy to move when wet, even if the seams aren’t lined up perfectly.
It’s the same as using a brush and paint.
Which Is Cheaper? Wallpaper Or Paint?
As you can see, it’s not easy to make a general claim. Wallpaper and paint can be used to make changes to a room for little or a lot of money.
The choice is up to you and your preference. So, in the short term, yes, paint can be “cheaper” than wallpaper, but, keep in mind that wallpaper can be used for more than 15 years, while painted walls need a new coat of paint every three years or more.
That’s why wallpaper lasts five times as long as paint, but it doesn’t cost anywhere near five times as much.
When you really think about it, wall paint only looks really new for the first year and quickly loses its shine because of scrapes, scratches, and handprints. Wallpaper, on the other hand, doesn’t need as much care, and even after a few years, it still looks brand new.
Hence, durability is one of the most important cost factors and reasons to use wallpaper for your house in Sheffield..
That’s also why we’ve to take a quick look at how to keep wallpaper in Sheffield in good shape.
If you choose “washable” wallpaper, it won’t change colour and stains will be easy to get rid of without much work.
Any way you look at it, wallpaper is much easier to clean than paint.
Visit Moores Carpets for a special collection of non-woven wallpaper, wallpaper made of vinyl, or any other quality type of wallpaper.
Many wallpapers can also take a hit, which makes them great for high-traffic areas like children’s rooms, hallways, and stairwells.
At first glance, wallpaper may seem like a more expensive investment. Yet, its durability and ease of maintenance make it the absolute winner.
Reasons To Use Wallpapers For Your House In Sheffield
Wall paint isn’t as good as wallpaper in a lot of ways. This is also true for the way it looks. Colour is mostly boring because it doesn’t have much structure and stays the same.
Another reason to use wallpaper for your house in Sheffield is that in the past, it might have made sense to choose wall paint over wallpaper because the wallpaper was often associated with the “old school.” Also, it was a lot of work to put the wallpaper up and take it down again. But things have changed a lot since then.
Today, it’s easier than ever to put up wallpaper, and thousands of companies make trendy and new designs. Back then, wallpaper mostly had small, repeated patterns that made a room look small and claustrophobic.
That is different now. Huge patterns that go all the way across the wall give the impression of more space and are great for small rooms.
The texture is another thing that wallpaper has that paint doesn’t, and there are many to choose from these days. Wallpaper can be smooth, shiny, matte, pearlescent, or even glittery, but it can also feel different to the touch.
Just imagine the feel as you run your fingers over velvety wallpaper, like flock wallpaper, or over patterns made of real quartz sand.
There are also embossed patterns on a lot of wallpapers that play with the light and give your walls a lot of depth.
It is about time you clicked here to see the various types of wallpapers Moores Carpets, Sheffield, has in store for the decoration and beautification of your house.
Which Should You Choose Now? Paint Or Wallpaper Walls?
Whether you wallpaper or paint the walls comes down to how you want the room to look and how much work you want to put into it. If you want a room to have a complicated pattern or design, wallpaper makes more sense than wall paint in this case.
Using photo wallpaper in the living room is a great way to display the last favourite picture you took. It is also possible to use a mix of colour and wallpaper, which gives the room a unique feel. For example, if you have four walls in a room, you could wallpaper one and paint the other three the same colour. A room becomes a real eye-catcher when it has a pattern on the walls that draws attention.
If you need help with interior design from a professional, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. We not only give you advice, but we also lend a hand and help you put your ideas into action.
Most wallpaper today is made of non-woven materials, which are easier to work with than the paper wallpaper that was common in the past.
The main reason to use wallpaper over paint is its looks and design. Wallpapers have patterns and even photos that look real enough to hang on the wall. The colours and patterns of wallpaper can change the mood of a room in one fell swoop. You can hardly do that with paint.
See our other blog posts here: